Tuesday 22 September 2009

Fleamarkets Finds and Vintage Family Treasure

Have I been getting a bit off topic recently? It seems like it's been a while since I posted any of my finds, which might explain why I have a HUGE pile of things on my desk, all demanding your attention.

So I'm going to remedy that right now - have a gander at this little lot..

Tins - gotta love a nice tin. I am a little compulsive about them. The snazzy alligator one that has 'Turnright's Assorted Dainties' on the inside of the lid, belonged to my great Grandmother.



While I was poking around the family archive, I found the aforementioned tin and inside it were a few treasures.

A camera - I'm going to try it with some film.



A panorama viewer for slides, bought in 1974 according to the box.



And my favourite thing, some woven name tags with my Great Grandmother's initials on them. Her surname was Van Sertima. I really quite fancy taking it as my own surname.







Some tap shoes for Iris that are too big, but which are still irresistible, especially it seems, for walks in the woods*.



A sweet little jumper - too small for Iris (and me of course) sadly.



Then some kitchenalia, an enamel butter dish in a fetching shade of red.



And a Nymolle cheese board, although I think this is more of a decorative piece.



Nice illustration though, eh?



Of course, there's more. Lots of books, including one called Jacky's Trip To The Moon, does anyone know it? It's from 1977. It's wonderful.

I have also been very busy with some new fireable decals, which means that some of my plates can be used for pretty cakes as well as hung on your wall. I'll do a grand unveiling soon. I'm very excited.

* No, I did not let her wear them for a walk in the woods.

10 comments:

mieke willems said...

love the name tags! and how nice that they are your grandmothers'!

Anonymous said...

I love all of your goodies here especially the Panorama Viewer. I have just been reading a few of your archive posts and found the Bambi. I can't believe it, it's exactly the same as mine, I will have to do a bit more research and find our where they are from. I also read the story about Margaret Wise Brown. She is very inspiring, I love writing little stories.
Adele

Jane O Sullivan said...

....oh my flippin gosh nath...........
Lovely lovely finds (you'd find them hey ! )
all sounds great ,good luck with your plates x
oh ..my fave has to be that tin with the faux aligator / print and the name tapes.
And hey , if you want to go off the point ,why not ,its your space YAY and to see the lovely photos was a treat .

Conversation Pieces said...

Love the name tags so much... and that butter dish is ace! I'm the same as you in that I have a pile of junky finds I've been meaning to share and never seem to get round to it. Where does all the time go?!

Amanda Nicole said...

Loving your family treasures, especially the name tags! Wonderful.

Toosdai said...

family treasures are my favorite. so many stories in one piece, now its time to create your own stories with it!

Top Bird @ Wee Birdy said...

Love the sweet little knit jumper - what a gorgeous pattern. And fab tins, too. xx

Francesca said...

oh those old cash's nametapes! i still use them now, how wonderful.

Naomi Devlin said...

I love it all, but especially the shoes - if only I could shrink my feet? x x x

erika said...

so nice of you to share these treasures with us, the tap shoes are amazing ;-)